Labels

Sunday 18 March 2012

Art Nouveau

The Lecture 2 slideshow for dsdn 101 said to look up several artists/styles listed in the powerpoint. After having looked them all up, I was most grabbed by "Art Nouveau."  My dad introduced the style to me a few years ago (an avid surfer, he was initially drawn to it for its similarity to 70s surf posters, and he now makes a point of seeing art nouveau buildings everywhere he travels).  I fell in love with it. It reflects my artistic style (http://nataliavasquez.daportfolio.com/) with its curvy lines and organic/earthy theme.  I appreciate that art nouveau artists were inspired by nature.  Art Nouveau ended the neoclassic movement arond 1890 and continued to be popular for another 20 years. It was a holistic style, encompassing architecture, industrial design, print art, jewelry, etc. It differed in style from region to region.

Last semester when I was studying in Paris, I had the opportunity to go to Prague and visit the Mucha Museum and see his work in a cathedral (Mucha was one of the most famous art nouveau artists and was raised in the Czech Republic).

Here is a picture I took of one of his stained-glass works:


Here is another image I took at the Mucha Museum. This is my favorite of all his work:


Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau

No comments:

Post a Comment